Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science explores government policy, processes, political campaigning, political theory, legal studies, and international relations. The degree has a strong liberal art focus and research focus designed to prepare students for graduate-level training in a variety of disciplines along with entry-level work in a host of disparate fields. This is a broad-spectrum program that introduces students to the general study of the field of political science and is suited for students with an interest in public policy, foreign affairs, issues in immigration and the environment as well as those seeking an academic foundation for work in political campaigns.
- Develop an understanding of the differences between various government and economic systems.
- Develop an understanding of the framework necessary to apply political, economic, social, historical, legal and philosophical foundations to the study of political science.
- Acquire an understanding of the stressors that population, natural resources, and environmental issues have on political frameworks.
- Acquire an understanding of the political theories needed to analyze policy and political actions.
- Develop skills in writing, research, and analysis.
Skills you will develop
- Analysis and understanding of the various aspects of government, international relations, law, history, and politics.
- Exemplary critical thinking skills.
- Outstanding writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well in groups and appreciate various points of view.
- Ability to adapt to various cultures and environments.
- Capacity to solve problems.
- Working well under pressure.
Market Place (where will I work?)
- Government Office/Institution
- Private Corporation
- International Organization
- Non-Governmental Organization (Not-For-Profit Organization)
- Campaign Office
- Media Outlet
Types of jobs related to Major/Field (what kind of jobs are out there for me in my area?)
CIA/FBI Analyst or Agent
City Housing Administrator
Congressional Office Staffer
Corporate Public Affairs Adviser
Corporate Information Analyst
Corporate Adviser for Govt. Relations
Corporation Legislative Issues Manager
Editor of Journals or Books
Environmental Policy Analyst
Federal Government Analyst
Foreign Service Officer
High School Government Teacher
International Agency Officer
International Research Specialist
Journalist, Political Correspondent
Juvenile Justice Specialist
Non-Profit Program Manager
Public Affairs Research Analyst
Urban Policy Planner
Web Content Editor
What is next? (Graduate School options to complement my BA/BS)
- Law School
- Masters in any related field (Political Science, International Relations, International Law, Public Administration, Public Policy, Security Studies, Political Economy, International Development, Environmental Policy, Health Policy, Human Rights, and Urban Planning/Development among others.
- D. in any related field (please see non-exhaustive list above).
LOWER DIVISION REQUIREMENTS
- Political Science
- Introduction to Comparative Government and Politics
- International Relations
- Introduction to Political Theory
- Criminal Law
- Politics of the Developing World
- US Latin American Relations
- Domestic and International Terrorism
UPPER DIVISION REQUIREMENTS
- Intergovernmental Relations
- Mass Media and Politics
- The American Presidency
- Voting Behavior and Public Opinion
- The Campaign Process
- Religion and Politics
- Introduction to Public Policy
- Great Political Thinkers
- Middle East Foreign Policy
- Environmental Politics
- Public Finance
- The World Economy
- Urban Government Social Policy
- American Constitutional Law
- Immigration Law
- Issues in International Policy
General Education Requirements (Upper Level):
- Conflict Resolution
- Critical Thinking
- Intermediate Statistics
- History of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
*Some courses are subject to change according to Keiser University’s internal policies.
Mr. Roberto Atha
M.A International Education Candidate, Framingham State University
M.A. – Security Studies//Regional Studies/Western Hemisphere, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterrey, CA
B.S. Political Science, United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland
Mr. Atha has worked in the military and naval force in the US, Spain, and Italy. Former Head of Naval Mission and Executive Officer for Military Group at the US Embassy in El Salvador from 2009-2012. Worked as a Policy Analyst in the Office of National Drug Control Policy at the White House during the period of 2012-2014. Currently, Mr. Atha is the Development Director for Lincoln International Academy in Nicaragua.
Keiser University – Latin American Campus has a roster of qualified faculty with Ph.Ds and Master’s degrees from prestigious universities in the U.S. and Europe who, in addition to being student-centered, have extensive teaching and professional experience.